This support article will describe how to setup a new Balance Plate 3s.
- Computer with a free USB port.
- Swing Catalyst 9.3.0
This article also covers the Balance Plate 3 XL plate and Balance Plate 3.
If you wish to calibrate your plate please click here.
- Install the drivers from Windows Start Menu - Swing Catalyst - Drivers folder.
For 64-bit Windows, run "Balance Plate #2 Driver Installer (x64)"
For 32-bit Windows, run "Balance Plate #2 Driver Installer (x86)"
Do I have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
You can also find the drivers on https://www.swingcatalyst.com/drivers
In order to use your Balance Plate it needs to be registered with the manufacturer for warranty purposes.
After registration you will receive the calibration file which is to be installed in Swing Catalyst.
- Download the calibration utility
- If asked to install drivers, click yes.
- Connect the plate to the computer.
- Open the newly installed SE Utility
- Follow the instructions below.
- Make sure you have a monitor or TV connected to your computer so you can see the screen when standing on the Balance Plate.
After clicking start it will automatically attempt to scan for devices, if it does not find your plate, click the drop down menu and select your Balance Plate.
Select the device that matches your plate's serial number and click Next.
Example of filled out registration information
Once you've filled out the required information for warranty and service purposes click Confirm.
If possible select a camera and point it to show the Balance Plate, and click Next.
Make sure to remove the carpet and any other objects from the Balance Plate, this is to ensure that the readings are not impacted by any external factors.
Before stepping on the plate the utility collects data in order to have a baseline to compare to.
Please make sure you don't accidentally stand on the plate until the utility instructs you to do so.
It's important that you stand on the plate as indicated by the utility.
The dark feet show where you should be standing, and the grey feet show where you should stand next.
Please follow each step as it is important to activate all of the regions of the plate.
If you are not happy with the recording, perhaps you made a mistake? You can easily restart the process by clicking restart.
Click Continue if you wish to proceed.
Click the Save button then click the Send button
Before the data is sent to the manufacturer for review enter the approximate weight and usage.
In notes you can specify issues that you have with the plate, for example weak left foot, or other concerns.
The reason the manufacturer wishes to collect this data is to further improve the recalibration algorithms to provide more accurate sensor readings.
Enter the information and click send:
Once finished the calibration file is saved to your Documents folder, press Yes to open the folder and then close the utility.
Continue with these steps
- Start Swing Catalyst and go to Settings --> Hardware in the main menu.
- The plate should be detected automatically, if not please see the troubleshooting section.
Click the "Configure..." button to open the configuration dialog.
Sensor Plate Settings
- Go to the Stance Sensor tab, and click Browse and Install.
- Go to the directory you saved the calibration file, e.g: C:\User\YourUsername\Documents and select the mxd file you just saved from the utility and click Open.
- When installation is completed it will let you know and you can click OK to close the windows.
- Your Balance Plate should now be ready to use.
Start a new session in Swing Analysis and verify you get pressure readings in the Pressure and stance databox when capturing swings.
Note: It may be necessary to run a re-calibration of your Balance Plate with heavy usage, this can be done by clicking the diagnostics button in Swing Catalyst Settings, which will launch the SE Utility.
The Balance Plate is not recognized or not showing as connected:
- Make sure the device is recognized by Windows.
- Open Windows device manager. How?
- Verify the Sensor Edge device is present under Ports (COM & LPT)
- If it is not, or has a warning symbol, then try reinstalling the drivers and reconnecting the device to a different USB port.
- Connect the device to a different USB port on the computer.
- If using a USB extender, try connecting the device to the PC without an extender.
- Restart Swing Catalyst.
- Restart the computer.
- If you tried all these steps and it still shows as not connected in Swing Catalyst, please contact support: https://support.swingcatalyst.com/hc/en-us
Calibration is not installed successfully
- The calibration file you received from the Sensor Edge Utility may be bad or the file may have become corrupted, try to run the utility again and install the new calibration file. If this doesn't work, submit a new request: https://support.swingcatalyst.com/hc/en-us
There is noise on the plate even though I've run the utility
- In some cases the utility is not able to filter out the noise present due to the type of noise related compared to signal levels. The manufacturer will then manually inspect the session that is generated by the utility to see if they can improve upon it.
- If the plate is heavily used or exposed to direct sunlight then these can be noise attributing factors.
- If the manufacturer is unable to fix the issue and the plate is under warranty or ESA (extended service agreement), the plate can be shipped back to the manufacturer as long as an RMA is present.
Some issues have been seen with AMD 300-Series chipsets (AMD Ryzen 1700 / 2700 series ) with USB 1.1 devices. Specifically with the Balance Plate, where you only get 75 samples per second instead of ~145 samples per second. We recommend using a USB 2.0 hub which will allow the Balance Plate to stream at full sample rate.
There are no known issues as far as using the AMD 300 series chipsets with USB 3.0 devices.